Fun Pineapple Facts
- Not a single fruit but are composed of upwards of a hundred individual berries
- Thought to have originated in the Amazon. They are not from Hawaii!
- Drought resistant
- Have very little root structure compared to their above ground vegetation
- Bromeliads - in the family Bromeliaceae
- The second most consumed tropical fruit in the modern world behind the banana
- Can be cultivated via planting crowns, sips, slips or seeds
A wealthy Dutch horticulturalist named Agnes Block is credited with being the first to bring a pineapple to fruit in Europe in about 1687 on her estate in Vijverhof.
- Chief Pineapple